The Volvo XC40 - A Stylish and Practical SUV
Published Date: 20th Jun 2023
The Volvo XC40 was first launched in the UK in 2017 to critical and commercial acclaim. It was praised for its stylish design, spacious interior, and advanced safety features. The XC40 was also one of the first cars built on Volvo's new Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) platform.
Since its introduction to the UK market, the Volvo XC40 has emerged as a formidable contender in the compact SUV segment. It has captured the attention of car buyers with its unique blend of Scandinavian design, cutting-edge technology, and impressive safety features.
In this article, we take a captivating journey through the history and development of the Volvo XC40 in the UK, highlighting key events and dates that have shaped this remarkable vehicle.
We will explore the XC40's design, technology, safety features, and sales performance in the UK. We will also look at the future of the XC40 and how it is expected to continue to evolve in the years to come.
Volvo XC40 Key Milestones
2017: The Volvo XC40 is first launched in the UK
The Volvo XC40 made its highly anticipated entry into the UK market in 2017, swiftly establishing itself as a critical and commercial triumph. Positioned as Volvo's smallest SUV offering at the time, the XC40 was engineered to rival notable contenders such as the Audi Q3 and the BMW X1.
The vehicle garnered widespread acclaim for its stylish design, spacious interior, and advanced safety features. It was among the first cars built on Volvo's cutting-edge Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) platform, underpinning its innovative foundation.
Inspired by Scandinavian minimalism, the XC40's design was instantly attractive, characterized by distinctive elements like the iconic "Thor's Hammer" headlights and the striking "floating" grille. The interior boasted meticulous craftsmanship, showcasing high-quality materials and an ergonomic seating position designed for ultimate comfort.
The XC40 offered a diverse range of powertrain options to suit varying preferences, including a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine, a 2.0-litre turbocharged diesel engine, and a plug-in hybrid powertrain. Regardless of the chosen variant, all models were equipped with Volvo's advanced safety features, such as City Safety, a system that autonomously applies brakes to avoid potential collisions.
UK car buyers swiftly embraced the XC40, propelling it to become one of the country's most sought-after SUVs. In its inaugural year of sales, the XC40 accounted for over 10% of Volvo's total sales in the UK, a testament to its immediate popularity. The XC40's remarkable success in the UK can be attributed to an array of factors. Its captivating design, spacious interior, and comprehensive safety features resonated with discerning buyers. Furthermore, the XC40 benefitted from Volvo's renowned reputation for safety and reliability, reinforcing its appeal as a trusted choice among consumers.
Continuing its triumph, the XC40 remains one of the best-selling SUVs in the UK, celebrated for its fusion of style, safety, and practicality. Families, businesses, and individuals seeking a versatile, secure, visually appealing SUV have embraced the XC40 wholeheartedly.
- Geneva Motor Show 2017 Launch: The Volvo XC40 was launched at the prestigious Geneva Motor Show, generating significant excitement and anticipation.
- Pioneering CMA Platform: As the first Volvo model built on the Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) platform, the XC40 shared its technological foundation with vehicles like the Geely Boyue and Lynk & Co 01.
- Trim Levels: The XC40 offered customers a choice of three distinctive trim levels: Momentum, R-Design, and Inscription - ( Core, Plus & Ultimate - 2023), allowing individuals to tailor the vehicle to their preferences and needs.
- Competitive Pricing: With a starting price of £27,905 in the UK, the XC40 delivered remarkable value within the compact SUV segment.
- In 2018, the XC40 secured the prestigious European Car of the Year accolade, solidifying its position as an outstanding representative of automotive excellence.
2019: Volvo XC40 Facelift
In 2019, the Volvo XC40 received a mild facelift, which included a revised front end and new taillights. The headlights were also updated, and the grille was given a more prominent design. The XC40 received a new infotainment system with a larger touchscreen display inside. The driver interface was also updated with features like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
The most significant change to the XC40 in 2019 was the introduction of a plug-in hybrid powertrain. The XC40 Recharge was powered by a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol unit and an electric motor, and it had a combined output of 215 horsepower. The XC40 Recharge could travel up to 40 miles on electric power alone, making it a practical choice for city driving.
The facelifted XC40 was well-received by critics and car buyers alike. The new styling was praised for its bolder and more aggressive look, and the latest infotainment system was welcomed as a welcome improvement. The XC40 Recharge was also a success, and it quickly became one of the most popular plug-in hybrid SUVs on the market.
- The facelifted XC40 was unveiled at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show.
- The facelifted XC40 was available in three trim levels: Momentum, R-Design, and Inscription.
- The facelifted XC40 was priced from £31,305 in the UK.
- The XC40 Recharge was awarded the What Car? Best Hybrid Car of the Year in 2019.
2022 - Volvo XC40 - Powertrain Update
In 2022, the Volvo XC40 received a major powertrain update. The petrol and diesel engines were replaced by a new range of mild-hybrid and fully electric powertrains. The mild-hybrid petrol engine is a 1.5-litre turbocharged engine paired with a 48-volt mild-hybrid system. The system provides an additional 13 horsepower and 40 lb-ft of torque, and it helps to improve fuel economy.
The fully electric XC40 is called the XC40 Recharge Pure Electric. A 78 kWh battery pack provides a range of up to 223 miles on a single charge. With the XC40 Recharge Pure Electric, you can recharge from 0 to 80% within 40 mins when using a fast charger!
The XC40 also had advanced safety features, including a semi-autonomous driving mode called Pilot Assist. Pilot Assist can automatically steer, accelerate, and brake the car within its lane, making it a hands-free driving mode for short periods.
The powertrain update and the new safety features were well-received by critics and car buyers alike. The new powertrains were praised for their improved fuel economy and performance, and the latest safety features were a welcome addition.
- The powertrain update was unveiled at the 2022 Geneva Motor Show.
- The XC40 Recharge Pure Electric was the first fully electric Volvo built on the CMA platform.
- The XC40 Recharge Pure Electric had an MRRP of £41,905 in the UK.
- The XC40 Recharge Pure Electric was awarded the What Car? Best Electric Car of the Year in 2022.
Here are some of the reasons for XC40's success:
- Stylish design: The XC40 has a chic and modern design appealing to a wide range of buyers. The car's distinctive "Thor's Hammer" headlights and "floating" grille give it a unique look that sets it apart from other SUVs.
- Practical interior: The XC40 boasts a spacious and functional interior, ideally suited for families and couples. The car provides plenty of legroom and headroom in front and rear seats while featuring a generously sized cargo area.
- Affordable price: The XC40 is a relatively affordable SUV, especially compared to other premium SUVs. The car's starting price is just £27,905 in the UK, making it a great option for buyers looking for a stylish and practical SUV without breaking the bank.
- Packed with features: The XC40 is packed with features, including a range of advanced safety features, a large touchscreen infotainment system, and a panoramic sunroof. These features make the XC40 a great choice for buyers who are looking for a car that is both stylish and practical.
In addition to these reasons, the XC40 has also been successful due to Volvo's strong reputation for safety and reliability. Volvo is known for making some of the safest cars on the road, and the XC40 is no exception. The car has been awarded a five-star safety rating from Euro NCAP and is also one of the most reliable cars on the market.
As a result of these factors, the XC40 has been a huge success for Volvo. Critics and car buyers alike have praised the car, which has quickly become one of the most popular SUVs in the UK. If you are looking for a stylish, practical, affordable, and feature-packed SUV, the XC40 is an excellent option.
Volvo XC40 UK Sales Volumes by Year:
The Volvo XC40 has been a popular choice for UK car buyers since it was first launched in 2017. In 2022, the XC40 was the 9th best-selling SUV in the UK. The XC40 has also been a popular choice for businesses and is often used as a company car.
Here is a table of sales data for the Volvo XC40 in the UK:
Volvo XC40 2023 Trims
- XC40 - Core -The Core is the entry-level trim level for the XC40. It has a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine, a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system, and a rearview camera. Other standard features include LED headlights, 17-inch alloy wheels, and cloth upholstery.
- XC40 - Plus - The Plus is the mid-level trim level for the XC40. It adds a number of features over the Core, including a panoramic sunroof, a heated steering wheel, and a power-adjustable driver's seat. Other Plus features include 18-inch alloy wheels, leatherette upholstery, and a Harmon Kardon sound system.
- XC40 - Ultimate - The Ultimate is the top-of-the-line trim level for the XC40. It adds a number of features over the Plus, including a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, a head-up display, and a hands-free power tailgate. Ultimate features include 20-inch alloy wheels, a heated front passenger seat, and Nappa leather upholstery.
The Future of the Volvo XC40
The Volvo XC40 is a stylish, spacious, and safe SUV that has been a popular choice for UK car buyers since its launch in 2017. The XC40 is expected to remain a popular choice in the years to come, thanks to its combination of style, safety, and affordability.
The XC40 offers a range of powertrain options, from petrol to mild-hybrid to fully electric, making it a wise choice for a variety of buyers. Whether aiming for fuel efficiency or zero emissions, this vehicle can do the job. Furthermore, it's among the most affordable Volvos currently available, making it an excellent choice for first-time Volvo buyers and those seeking a premium SUV without excessive cost.
Apart from its stylish looks, spacious interior, and range of powertrain options, the XC40 boasts advanced safety features. The City Safety feature applies automatic braking to avoid a collision, while Pilot Assist helps keep the car in its lane and maintain a secure distance from other vehicles.
The XC40 offers exceptional value for money and is a well-rounded SUV, incorporating style, space, safety, and affordability. Its versatility makes it an ideal choice for a range of prospective buyers.
Here are some additional factors that will contribute to the future success of the Volvo XC40:
- The increasing popularity of SUVs in the UK
- The growing demand for electrified vehicles
- Volvo's reputation for safety and reliability
Here are a few of the Volvo XC40 rivals you may wish to take a look at:
Audi Q3: A premium compact SUV similar in size and price to the XC40. Offers a stylish design, a comfortable interior, and a range of advanced features.
Volkswagen T-Roc: The Volkswagen T-Roc is a stylish and practical compact SUV that is a little more affordable than the XC40.
SEAT Ateca: The SEAT Ateca is a stylish and affordable compact SUV slightly smaller than the XC40.
Peugeot 3008: The Peugeot 3008 is a stylish and quirky compact SUV that offers a unique driving experience.
Citroen C5 Aircross: The Citroen C5 Aircross is a stylish and comfortable compact SUV with a spacious interior and advanced features.
Ford Puma: The Ford Puma is a stylish, sporty compact SUV with a fun driving experience and practical interior.
We have stock cars in some Volvo XC40 models for immediate delivery on the 23 Registration Plate.
You can also order the new 73 registration Plate for September now - be quick, as the physical Volvo XC40 is limited!
Learn more by clicking the link: Volvo XC40 New Car Deals
**Please note that Volvo vehicle specifications, trim levels, options, and engines are subject to change anytime. Therefore, confirming the vehicle specification you are interested in when you purchase is essential. All car manufacturers reserve the right to change vehicle specifications without notice.